Sunday, July 29, 2012

And the Beat Goes On...

Week six is completed. It was a shorter mileage week for me, since after Monday's run, my legs were not cooperating and I really felt badly (14 miles this week). Monday's heat was rough as well, and it looks like there's no relief in the short term future. We'll just have to slug it out, take it easy, and hydrate like crazy.

Well, the heel and knee issues are really starting to aggravate me. On Monday evening. Kathy Hoover, owner of Runner's World, spent a few precious minutes with me to check out my stride and helped me make a few adjustments. Then the adjustments would be immediately put into practice during the Monday run. I was really hoping for immediate relief, but wasn't able to find any. I did however generate some new complaints, mainly in my lower calves. I think this is the area where the Achilles connects to the calf muscles. Hurts like you know what. So, I rested until Saturday, with the hopes that the rest would equal healing and freedom from pain.

Saturday's run was once again a very tough run. Ran 9 miles and it was pretty tough all the way, especially after the first 6 miles. I felt my left calf tightening up, and wanted to stretch it out. I should have stayed in the rest area longer to do just that, but the group was leaving to cover the last three miles for the day. So, I ran right away with them. BIG MISTAKE. At about mile eight I felt my calf tighten up even more and then the sharp pain ran through it. I stopped and walked for a while and then stopped to stretch. A few Badger's asked me if I was okay, and they offered to stop and help. But, there really wasn't anything they could do, and we were near the end for the day. I stretched out and then moved on at a snails pace to finish the day actually running.

A few more lessons this week about my body, it's limitations, and the effort I will need to endure to push through the training needed to prepare for the marathon in November. My legs are protesting every run now, but I am determined to push on and run anyway, as long as it does not mean a run ending injury. I am proclaiming that my legs are strong, and that I will prevail. He who made me, made me for running the race, both spiritually and naturally.

Week seven, I am coming right at you.

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to give a shout out to my running friend, Fred 'Moose' Alford, for slowing down with me and providing the much needed support during the runs. He could run faster and longer, but chose to run with me. I really appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete